Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Reflections


The orientation activities thus far have allowed me to generate different perspectives on what my goals should be for the trip. Initially, I was interested in this trip because I wanted to further my knowledge about children, health, and education in an underdeveloped country, to fulfill a life dream of going to Africa, and to grow personally. While these still hold true, after the orientation activities, my new goals are to understand Ugandan culture in a more objective and non-judgmental way while simultaneously trying to immerse myself, and understanding my strengths and weaknesses when attempting this. After today’s activities I realized I have to make a conscious effort to make sure I separate judgments from observations, so my expectation is that people will (hopefully) be patient while I try to accomplish this goal. My fear is still that I will get sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment