Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Uganda, here I come!

As I briefly glance through the various readings listed on the syllabus and the heavy IYF pamphlet, I can't help but wonder if I will feel like an unwanted citizen there. Regardless of my knowledge about the public health issues in Uganda, I remain modest about my abilities to become an assimilated foreigner. Based on my observational experience at Lexington Market, I realize that my skills of "seeing the picture before me" are clouded by my previous conceptions, making it hard for me to adapt new ways of thinking. My expectation on this trip revolves around sharpening my skills as a student, learning to adjust to a complex and changing environment. My fear in taking this cultural journey into the "unknown" centers on not acquiring enough knowledge to admire Uganda's beauty through the perspective of its own citizens.

No comments:

Post a Comment